The Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences in Sarajevo proudly bears the name of the oldest secular institution in the domain of higher education in Bosnia and Herzegovina. On March 21st, 1940, the Ministry of Education of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia issued a legally valid decree to found the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry in Sarajevo as a separate faculty with two departments, Department of Agriculture and Department of Forestry. Classes at the faculty started by the end of January 1941 and they lasted until the outbreak of war in April that same year. Although the authorities of the Independent State of Croatia never officially dismissed the Faculty, it was devastated and consequently closed until the end of the Second World War and the liberation of country.
By the end of 1946, a board of experts was established, consisting of A. Ogrizek, PhD, professor D. Nikolić, PhD, V. Drecun, engineer, Vukavić, PhD, B. Vukičević, engineer of architecture and I. Šmalcelj, the representative of Independent Republic Bosnia and Herzegovina’s Ministry of Agriculture. The board was in charge of finding the necessary facilities where to situate the school as well as research facilities. They selected the building at Zagrebačka street, 18, Grbavica. The Faculty remained located on the above mentioned address until the outbreak of war in 1992.
The Government of Federative Independent Republic of Yugoslavia accepted a proposition to found Confederate Agricultural College for Mountain Landscape Management in Sarajevo made by Vaso Čubrilović, PhD, occupying the position of Minister of Agriculture in Confederate Government and on December 31st, 1946 Yugoslavian Government issued a decree by which this College was founded.
According to the founding decree and the statute concerning organization, lasting and functioning of this college, it has been determined that the Confederate Agricultural College for Mountain Landscape Management in Sarajevo is an independent institution of higher education at faculty level which offered a program lasting four years or in other words, eight semesters. The school curriculum encompassed all branches of Agricultural science with special emphasis on the branches which were of special importance for the development and improvement of agricultural production in hilly and mountainous regions. A commission of professors- founders was set up in order to select the first three teachers. This commission appointed first teachers of Agricultural College for Mountain Landscape Management in Sarajevo, two full professors: Dragomir Ćosić, PhD, the head of the Confederate Institute for Agricultural Research and the head of the Department for Scientific Work and Professional Training in Belgrade, Nikola Zdanovski, PhD, senior lecturer at the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry in Zagreb and the head of Animal Science Institute in Zagreb; and one associate professor Fahrudin Hrasnica, PhD, Counselor for Animal Science at the Ministry of Agriculture of Independent Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo.
At their first meeting held on May 10th, 1947, the board of professors appointed Dragomir Ćosić, PhD dean of the college and Nikola Zdanovski, PhD, vice dean. That is when the Confederate Agricultural College for Mountain Landscape Management, today known as Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science, came into being. The main task of this College was to educate agricultural experts, thus improving the status and condition of agriculture in the entire country. Ceremonial opening of the College occurred on November 2nd, 1947 with regular classes starting November 5th in the same year. During the next academic year, Ministry of Forestry and Committee for Faculties and Colleges operating within the Government of Independent Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina took the initiative in the preparations for founding the Forestry Department at this College. This department was founded on December 17th, 1948, when National Assembly of the Independent Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with an assent of confederate bodies, enacted the law about the founding of the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry in Sarajevo. This Faculty functioned as a college with its Agricultural and the newly founded Forestry Department until December 31st , 1958.
In a process of reorganization at the end of 1958, the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry split into two separate faculties: Faculty of Agriculture and Faculty of Forestry, both still being situated in the same building. As of January 1st , 1959, both faculties were run separately.
In 1958 the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry in Sarajevo, with the recommendation of Confederate National Assembly, introduces three fields of studies in its Agricultural Department, agriculture, fruit and wine growing and cattle breeding. In the academic year 1958/59, students who were at their first or second years of studies were instructed to choose one of these three fields of studies and specialize in it, whereas students who were at their third or fourth years of studies followed the previously adopted programme without specializing in a specific field of studies. As of the academic year 1977/78, and with the recommendation of the Faculty Council, another department was founded, the Department for processing and control of agricultural products. In the academic year 1988/89, the name of the department was changed into Department of agricultural and food products technology. In accordance with Council’s decree dating from 1983, a section of the Department of Fruit and Wine Growing from the Faculty of Agriculture in Sarajevo was established in Mostar in the academic year 1983/84.
The Faculty suffered severe damage at the very beginning of the 1992-1995 war. It was robbed and burned to the ground. The Faculty has also lost half of its staff, which meant that the reconstruction had to be done from scratch. By getting and equipping of building in the ex-army barracks ‘Maršal Tito’, nowadays known as Sarajevo University Campus, conditions, though humble, were created, so that the Faculty could continue its crucial mission, which remained manifold and manifested itself through educating experts and continuing scientific and professional work in the field of agriculture and food industry.
Today, the Faculty offers postgraduate programmes in 12 different fields: Agriculture, Fruit Growing, Wine Growing, Plant protection-phytomedicine, Domestic Animals Nutrition, Agricultural and Food Industry Economics, Plant Products Technology, Animal Products Technology, Sustainable Soil Management, Food and Drinks Quality Control, Growing of Vegetables in Protected Area and Production and use of flowers and ornamental plants. As of the academic year 2008/2009, the Faculty introduced Graduate (Master's) programmes, designed to conform to the standards of the Bologna process.
When the Faculty resumed its work after the Second World War in 1947, agriculture in our country was underdeveloped and the number of agricultural experts was scarce. For this reason, producing new agricultural experts was the primary task. So far, the Faculty has produced nearly 5000 graduate engineers of agriculture and food technologies, almost 250 MAs and nearly 200 PhDs. These experts have certainly played an important role in improvement of agricultural production and food industry in Bosnia and Herzegovina and elsewhere, for there have been many foreign students who earned their degrees at this Faculty. In accordance with the reform from the academic year 1998/99, the Faculty was organized into two departments, General Agricultural Department and the Department of Agricultural and Food Products Technology. Witihin the General Agricultural Department there were three fields of studies, Agriculture, Plant Science and Animal Science.
As of the academic year 2005/6, the Faculty offers three-year undergraduate programmes of studies, created in accordance with the Bologna process. At the four Departments operating at the Faculty (Plant Science, Zootechnics, Food Technologies and Agricultural and Food Industries Economics), there are six programmes: Fruit and Wine Growing, Agriculture and Vegetable Growing, Animal Science, Food Technologies, Agricultural and Food Industry Economics. As a result of cooperation between Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science and Biology Department at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, both at the Sarajevo University, another undergraduate programme has been created, known under the name of Aquaculture.
By the end of 2006, Faculty changes its name into the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences.
The Faculty offers a PhD programme as a separate unit. This programme is a result of a need to provide education and programmes which lead to the academic title of Doctor of Science for those experts who will be engaged in scientific and research work at the institutions of higher education and elsewhere. In order that postgraduate programme matches its purpose, it has been given enough space to those disciplines and teaching materials.